Monday, March 15, 2010

Bee Log #16: March 15, 2010


Honey bee on ornamental pear. Taken 3/15/2010

I have a question for my readers. Should we change our name to Seattle Urban Honey? We will have bees in Queen Anne, Fremont, Green Lake-Wallingford, Northgate and Bothell. If you are reading this please take a minute to let me know what you think.


The bees are flying. Some maple are putting out buds. The season for honey collection may be really early this year if the maple blooms this early.

We are trying to get the rest of our hive parts so we can get them painted, set up and ready before the bees arrive April 17. The sellers of bee-ware must be very, very busy if they can't stop to fill a rather large order. Perhaps there is a shortage of merchandise due to the great interest in backyard beekeeping. I don't know why we can't get the goods pronto and I shouldn't speculate ahead of the facts.

We are set to put hives in 6 yards in north Seattle. 12 packages of bees are arriving shortly. We need hive parts! NOW, PLEASE!

I have located a firm that sells product liability insurance. I had no idea where to look for that product and did not want to call just anybody. I guess I needed a referral from a trusted or at least known person. The broker that handles our home owners insurance had a knowledgeable agent. He did not even seem to be thrown by a backyard beekeeping business in the city that sells at Farmers' markets. I got a City of Seattle license. I registered the name "Seattle Urban Honey" with the state. I got a resale certificate so I don't have to pay sales tax on jars . Anything else?

2 comments:

  1. IMO, you should change your name if you have bees all over the city.

    Here is a link to a company that provides liability insurance for growers:
    http://www.campbellriskmanagement.com

    Very important: pay a professional to design your label. It's may be a few hundred $$, but it's an investment that will pay for itself your first season. A high-quality design increases the value of a jar before the customer tastes the product.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Seattle Urban Honey - A little broader coverage - like your bees will have :)

    ReplyDelete